Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Can I get a Lift? An Exploration into the Awkward Elevator Ride..

Ever been on an elevator ride and felt a really awkward feeling? It's like you are stuck at close proximity with people you know nothing about for an indefinite period of time and the silence is so uncomfortable and the awkwardness so thick you can cut a knife through it?

Yes that is the old, faithful awkward elevator ride. Part of you feels like spurring a conversation but you don't want to be that guy that starts a meaningless conversation about the weather or sports that you can't even finish because before you know it the person is jumping out on there floor!

And when I say jumping out, I mean jumping out! We are all guilty of it too. As soon as you here the bell ring for your floor a sensational feeling overcomes you as the  doors open and the freedom beckons you to wisk yourself out as soon as humanly possible.

Its quite a spectacle I must say, I am guilty of it too. Why start a conversation if you can't finish it anyway? Then there are the pointless little things we do to look like we are too busy to acknowledge eachother such as checking our email, looking down at our watches, tapping our feet or searching your purse for a mint that you won't offer anyone anyway. Its really all so silly.

Why must we pretend not to know eachother or better yet, not care to know eachother for that matter? Its like we're all too busy to even nod at eachother and say hello... what is up with that?

The best elevators are the ones with tv's in them because it gives everyone a perfect distraction from having to interact with each another. I'm going to try being pleasant for a change and nodding at someone next to me, and maybe just maybe, it might make my next elevator ride a little less awkward...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interesting

I don't think I have ever put pen to paper ad lib style like I am now. I have always put thought into what I was going to write. Always ...